[NCLUG] Another good day

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:25:09 MST 2008

"
Note also that Microsoft now prohibits running Vista under any emulator
unless you have paid for the top-priced product."

Actually, I was under the impression that you could run up to 3 VMs using
Virtual PC if you're running from a Vista Business or Enterprise host.

But most companies that would be running production XP/Vista VMs already
have OLA's with Microsoft anyway.

Of course until there's a court case to back this up it'll be interesting-
my current stance on this is that if you buy an OEM version of Windows, I
can see their point about not wanting that to be put into a VM because it
wasn't sold that way.  But if you're buying an over-the-shelf (non OEM) or
Open License (Enterprise) version - it's licensed per processor slot (2
allowed for XP and Vista), not per device or cores.  So, theoretically, you
could use a single license on a VMWare ESX machine running two dual or quad
core processors to run several dozen VM's.  Oddly enough, up until a few
months ago it was looking like Microsoft was really wanting to play ball
with VMWare and Citrix on their Virtual Desktop Initiative, but all of a
sudden there's FUD about it.  I'm really curious to see what happens, but I
wish with all my heart that we could see more Linux-based software in the
Heathcare sector; it would be a huge win and I wouldn't have to worry about
this licensing crud any more...

Okay, curious isn't the right word - 'hoping to God I'm not steering people
wrong' is the correct phrase...
I've been thru a BSA audit before - it's not pretty, but I was surprised by
a lot of fair use clauses with companies like Adobe that don't license per
device, but per 'concurrent' users.

Bottom line - the more we can use Linux in practical day-to-day operations,
the easier this stuff gets.

-DJ