[NCLUG] Debian Question

dann frazier dannf at dannf.org
Thu Jan 3 13:57:32 MST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:35:43AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Paul Hummer wrote:
> > You shouldn't need to apt-get dist-upgrade very often, if at all.
>
> The 'upgrade' target upgrades packages of the same names.  After the
> 'upgrade' the package list of names is the same as it was before the
> upgrade.  No new names are allowed installed if they weren't installed
> before.  No old names are allowed to be removed.  This blocks (by
> design) any package that adds new dependencies.

fyi, there was a discussion about this on planet.debian.org last
month. Colin Watson was complaining about the new-dependencies issue:

  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~cjwatson/blosxom

And, as I recall, one of the maintainers blog-replied and said they'd
consider changing this behavior. I can't find a link to that reply
though (yay blog conversations).

--
dann frazier