[NCLUG] Debian Question

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Thu Jan 3 17:53:55 MST 2008

> I know it sounds like I am just complaining and I need to learn some
> patience, but it does bring up some interesting questions. Why the hell
> is Linux getting so Huge? And why does it take so damn long to boot up?
> Is it the Desktop system (Gnome, Kde, Fluxbox, well, technically,
> Fluxbox is a window manager) that slows the loading of apps?

Yeah I suspect that's a big part. One of the other differences you are
probably seeing is the difference between Debian's "start with a small base
install and only install something if you need it" mentality vs the other
distros(and Windows') "Here is a DVD/Set of CDs, install everything on them
(and in some case disable it) so it's already on the system when you go to
use it" mentality.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org