[NCLUG] Debian Question

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jan 4 00:13:09 MST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 03:44:07PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> As far as erich's comment:
>
>   And each time, I basically had to tell people "well, you shouldn't
>   have used 'dist-upgrade', it's for upgrading between major version
>   of Debian, not for daily use.
>
> I disagree.  There is no major version differences when running
> Unstable.  Or rather perhaps that every change is a major version
> change.  Unstable is a continuous conveyer belt of individually
> wrapped chocolates that never stops.  When running Unstable the use of
> 'dist-upgrade' is pretty much the normal routine.

That's the point, though -- dist-upgrade isn't meant for keeping Unstable
up-to-date.  It's meant for moving between release branches and upgrading
from an old Stable to a new Stable.  For day-to-day system maintenance,
we have plain ol' upgrade.

Dr. Ron Paul: "Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when
terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons."