[NCLUG] DotNetNuke

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 13:17:56 MST 2008

I could contact you privately on this, but hey- this is a good kind of thing
to discuss...

You know, I had this same issue almost three years ago trying to make a
broken dotnetnuke site someone had put together for an intranet site work.

dot net nuke is just a growth out of the 15 million other PHP based CMS
systems out there.  Specifically PHPNuke which was one of the first.
It seems like there was a direct emulation of the dotnetnuke code someone
had tried using PHP, but it still required IIS and MSSQL to run.  The
problem is that it's hard to emulate because last I checked, dotnetnuke is
not truly 'open source'.  Not to mention the resources required of the
machine itself.  The reality is that Microsoft doesn't know how to make a
web server, but major corporations don't care, they'll just throw 100
servers at a website and call it good.

My advice to you is to run a SQL conversion to one of the major open source
CMS systems out there such as Mambo/Joomla - it'll save you the headaches
that are abundant with IIS/ASP.NET  Sure, the conversion is time intensive
but I think you're looking at much higher support times trying to force any
kind of .net oriented site on anything but a bone fide Winbloze server.

LAMP is the way to go- I've got my three Joomla sites running on an old dual
Xeon 833 box that's hosting something like 5 other active websites and a
100,000+ email per day postfix/spamassasin server.  The thing barely breaks
a sweat.  I converted the site from an old Post-Nuke CMS system using a free
tool I found.  I bet there's tools to convert dotnetnuke to about any of the
major CMSes

Good luck- I don't envy you this project.  When I was faced with it, I
abandoned ship and re-wrote everything to Mambo (this was before the Joomla
split off).

-DJ