[NCLUG] Spam/virus filtering solutions

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 14:54:08 MST 2008

I know I've mentioned this once before, but I'm wondering if anyone out
there has played with some of the pre-packaged spam filters out there such
as Mitea, ESVA, or something like that.

Basically I have a project that I'd like to do if possible using a
small-footprint Virtual Machine or older server so I can have a backup MX
for my main server, which runs Postfix feeding into Procmail (then feeding
to Clam, Spamasassin, etc).  It's not terribly robust but it meets the needs
okay.

We already have a commercial solution in place for the clients that want the
really good filtering (we use either Privacy Networks or MXLogic), but I had
the idea recently of having a store-and-forward solution I could quickly
deploy and move as needed.  Seems like a VM is a good way to do that, and
also a good way I could utilize some existing hosting servers that don't
have a heavy load but I can't really make any configuration changes to (and
they're both running sendmail which I haven't touched in about 9 years).

Anyway, unfortunately due to the nature of the server I'm wanting to have
this as a backup MX for, I have a budget of 0, except my time.

So- just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter

thanks,

-DJ