[NCLUG] downgrading libc6

John Gilmore j.arthur.gilmore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:29:30 MST 2008

no, you fail to understand. It worked last week, then I upgraded. Now
it don't work no more :( I probably should have paid more attention to
something in /etc/apt, but I couldn't tell you what exactly. I'm
running testing (or trying to) and I have no idea which version this
poorly-updated libc6 came from.

I have a backup, but I hesitate to trust it. I also hesitate to issue
the commands to restore - It's a live backup, and I hadn't intended to
use it to back out a major upgrade. Though it's looking more and more
like that's what I need to do. Let's see...

cp -a /home /media/backup
rm -rf /
cp -a /media/backup/0.weekly/* /
cp -a /media/backup/home .

something wrong there.... :)

Probably better to use rsync -

  #this step is (strictly speaking) not needed - I already have recent
backups...
cp -a /home /media/backup
  #Use rsync to force the destination directory to look like the source(s)
rsync --delete-after  -ax  /media/backup/0.weekly/* /
  #Restore "newest" home directory image
rm -rf /home
cp -a /media/backup/home /home

What thinkest thou? I think this stuff is scary. I may have backups,
but that doesn't mean that I don't fear borking my system. I really
don't want to spend hours reinstalling crap.