[NCLUG] Looking at programming languages...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jan 16 15:19:47 MST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:21:57PM -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:
>The syntax is beautiful.  You just need to get into its mindset -- just

The biggest problem I had when learning Ruby was the lack of parens in the
examples of function calls.  In Ruby you can leave out the parens if it's
obvious what is what.  However, when I read these I always found that I
would go "WTF?" and have to go through and figure out what it really meant.

Maybe that's just me, but I found that the lack of parens got quite in the
way of trying to learn it by example.  This isn't really a language
problem, except that the language allows it.  This is more a problem I had
with the Ruby examples.

Ruby, in general, I think is a good language.  If Python didn't exist, I'd
almost certainly be using Ruby instead.

 Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it.
                 -- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory