[NCLUG] Looking at programming languages...

Alan Silverstein ajs at frii.com
Wed Jan 16 15:25:23 MST 2008

> Maybe your problem with Ruby was the same problem some people have
> with Perl; perhaps you tried parsing code produced by write-only
> programmers.

Hah!  Could be.  My experience was taking a nearly comment-free script a
few hundred lines long, trying to make some small necessary changes to
it, and then get it to compile and run again.  AND, it could have been
an older version of the language.  But the process was infuriating.  So,
thanks for the feedback, I'll keep an open mind about Ruby.

...Something I find amusing is, while I've been a practicing software
engineer for over 30 years, on dozens of different projects...  Learned
object orientation before that in college, writing in Simula (ca.
1975)...  Later learned C++...  Have had to debug it at times...
Learned and used dozens of different scripting and compiled languages...
But have NEVER been asked to do any major authoring in C++!  Which is
fine with me.

Cheers,
Alan Silverstein