Fwd: Re: [NCLUG] Looking at programming languages...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 17 02:11:52 MST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:47:05PM -0700, Michael Riversong wrote:
>the problem here, and why such an unrealistic concept as expecting 10
>year old children to become good programmers can occur in the first place.

You know, that's about when I got my first exposure to programming
computers.  It was either when I was 10 or 11, back in '80 or '81, and was
a single hour long class with BASIC on the Apple II.  Before then I had
some exposure to them in games, but no opportunity to program.  Within
about a year I got a VIC-20 at home and programmed the heck out of it.

I remember that first programming class and wishing I could get more
exposure to the computers at that time.  But at the time I really didn't
have much option.  Computers were quite scarce then.

So, yeah, some people at 10 will be able to be exposed to computers and
know that's what they want to do.  And I think that giving them the
opportunity to explore that is a great thing.

 "I was just thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said
 ``I drank what?''"  -- Chris Knight, _Real_Genius_