[NCLUG] installing Ubuntu (Hardy Heron)

William Greger billjgreger at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:03:06 MDT 2008

I am going to be installing my first Linux OS (Ubuntu 8.04),
which I got from Paul Hummer at the Linux install-fest.

My PC configuration is
- Sony VAIO desktop
- RAM: 1 GB
- HD1, 80 GB, Maxtor
  * partition 1: XP Home
  * "            2: data
- HD2, 320 GB, Seagate
  * partition 1: XP Pro
  * "            2: swap
  * "            3: programs
  * "            4: data
The OS (Home/Pro) is selected via the BIOS setup (not the boot.ini file).
Ubuntu will be installed on HD1, which will be dedicated to Linux.
There will be 3 partitions: /; swap; /home

Q: After the Ubuntu CD-ROM is installed, and
     after the PC is restarted, does it make a difference
     whether Home or Pro is the 'active' OS?
     If yes, which is preferred?
     What will make it 'easier' for HD1 to be partitioned for Linux?

Bill Greger