[NCLUG] installing Ubuntu (Hardy Heron)

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Tue Jul 15 14:51:16 MDT 2008

Bill-
   It probably makes a world of difference to you which of these drives
you overwrite - Ubuntu's default install behavior will wipe the drive
it's told to install to.  Imagine your joy if the drive that gets wiped
is your working drive, and all your data is gone....

It's possible to override that default behavior, but if you're new it
might be easier to just allow the defaults to do their thing.

So here's a breakdown of how I'd handle this if it were my machine:

Get all the data you care about onto one drive.
"Remove" that precious drive from the computer (I'd do this by
unplugging power & data cables from it).
Double check that you removed the right one, by booting and seeing which
comes up.
Install Ubuntu to the other (only remaining) hard drive
After the installation is complete, reconnect your XP drive
Use the BIOS settings to set the boot priority you want.

If you choose to default to Ubuntu, I imagine (but I'm not certain) it
would "see" your windows drive, mount it, and give you access to your
files.  This would be a nice, gentle way to try out the world of
full-time Linux without committing totally.

I hope that answers the question you were asking.  Good luck with it!
I'm Rich Young, and I approved this message.