[NCLUG] Ubunto 8.04 - autoinstall of XP partitions

Goodman,Darrin Darrin.Goodman at ColoState.EDU
Thu Jul 24 10:02:00 MDT 2008

> Thank you for your suggestion.  Yes, I have used the Nautilus window
> which shows all the drives, including the XP partitions.  Within GUI,
> I am able to select each drive and choose  mount; the drive icon for
> each partition then appears on the desktop.  When I go to command line,
> I am not able to find the  mounted  XP partitions.  Perhaps I am not
> looking in the proper directory.

Bill, by default, unless you specify otherwise, Ubuntu mounts additional hard drives, partitions, and external USB drives to the /media directory.  Your partition might show up as something like /media/disk.

> Using the above  mount  approach, will the partitions remain permanently
> mounted, even after I logout?  Or will I have to repeat the procedure
> each time I log in?

You will have to do this each time you log in.  For me, it's not an issue; it's as easy as one click on an icon in Nautilus (in 8.04).  However, with previous versions of Ubuntu, or other Linux distros, I have always created a mount point, such as /mnt/hd1, and then mount the drive (or the partition in your case).  In order to get the drive or partition to automatically mount on boot, you might add some code to your /etc/fstab file that points to the drive, the mount point, and specifies the file system -- something like this:
/dev/hdb5     /mnt/hd1     reiserfs

- Darrin