[NCLUG] Re: DSL Throttling or General Congestion?

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Sun Jul 27 18:42:41 MDT 2008

Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> What do you mean by shared-access?

The Internet is shared.  Cable and DSL just have different connection
points where the shared part starts.  For DSL, it's at the DSLAM in the
local CO (or mini-CO) down the street.  For Cable, it's the little
router box sitting in your house.  Same difference in the end.

Throughput (effective bandwidth) and latency -- what you really care
about as a customer -- is a different story however.  John touched on
contention, which affects both of these measures of your actual service
level.  Large corporations buy "bandwidth" with SLAs (Service Level
Agreements) that specify minimums (bandwidth) and maximums (latency,
jitter).  Until consumers start demanding the same, we'll continue to
get "crappy" service.

I constantly hear people complaining about "this DSL provider in my area
sucks, I'm switching to cable" and then a couple months later "cable in
my area sucks, I'm switching back to DSL because it didn't suck as bad".

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan                                   -> milli at acmeps.com
Acme Professional Services LLC                        970-581-9948