[NCLUG] Fort Collins OpenMoko Group Order

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Sat Jun 14 12:52:35 MDT 2008

More importantly:

    http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Shipping_Notes#United_States_of_America

    "They also claim that we may need to file an FDA 2877 form for the
"Declaration of Electronic products subject to Radiation Control
Standards". I'm personally don't think this would apply since we're
using a common GSM module."

    "It is my understanding that even if the form does need to be filed
the device is an exempt item under part A6 if it is marked "FOR TEST /
EVALUATION ONLY" and ownership is not passed on to anyone after the
initial import."

IANAL ... or FCC regulatory expert, but after 39 years in this industry
.... my understanding is ...

Under U.S. FCC regulations no RF device may be marketed or sold until
FCC Certification is complete, except for certain devices for
construction of HAM gear. Fines for advertising or selling devices
without FCC Certification are $10,000 per unit per day up to something
around $150,000 (amounts differ for personal and business uses). There
are also criminal charges possible when the violations are willful,
along with asset seizure.

Without the phones being certified, and being properly affixed with the
FCC-ID of the agent importing/reselling them, any advertising, use or
resale of these devices appears in direct violation of the FCC
certification rules.

The only exceptions I am aware of to this rule, are hobby and
prototypes, such that an entity may build and test up to 5 prototype
devices during the development process, which may not be demonstrated to
the public or used for any advertising or sales efforts without required
FCC filings. At trade shows, firms I've worked for have had to expressly
file with the FCC prior to the show to demonstrate preproduction
products which have not recieved prior Certification and FCC approval to
ship. Under this rule, an entity may purchase subassemblies for their
prototype product, such as a complete electronics module, to which they
will add value added prior to certification and sale. Everyday personal
use without intent to certify is not exempted by this prototype
provision, as is a hobbiests purchase of complete assemblies for
personal use, and any interference caused is subject to sanction by the
FCC. Hobbiests have a lot more freedom when they actually design, and
fabricate the subassemblies themselves ... rather than simply be
consumers of a market ready product and try to hide behind the
subassembly evaluation rules. You will find a fair number of uncertified
"prototype" electronics modules in the market for hobbiests, that if the
same module were to be sold as a finished product would require proper
certification, or at least conformance testing for use inside a type
approved product.

Many devices, like WiFi modems, phones, etc, may have FCC mandated
software limitations as part of the approval process to prevent the
public from altering the operation of the device so that it will operate
outside it's certified and FCC approved channels or bands. Generic
subassemblies restricted "FOR TEST/EVALUATION" frequently do not have
these firmware and binary only driver limitations, and are specifically
not available for resale to the public. Devices of this class MUST have
FCC certfication for each entity importing the generic electronics for
their software, such that the binary only firmware/software provides the
required restrictions subject to FCC approval. Certification by Vendor
A, does not allow Vendors B, C, ... Z to sell the product without
certification for their firmware/software. Again, members of the general
public importing these non-certified devices for personal use are in
direct violation of the FCC regulations, especially if they produce
interference for a certified device/network .... IE, there is a software
bug which brings down a Cell Carriers network, at which point you may be
subject to legal sanction by both the FCC and Carrier for the losses
caused by illegal operation of these devices.

Unless you have a clear business plan to develop these phones for
resale, with all certification, their use appears illegal until such a
time the manufacturer obtains an FCC-ID for them. Any importing these
devices without certification for personal use, or for any resale,
appears a direct violation of FCC regulations and US law.

A bulk purchase appears resale, as one person writes the check, accepts
delivery, and resells them. Advance sale of the non-certified devices
for a group order appears to be specifically advertising AND sale, both
of which are prohibited for non-certified devices subject to FCC regulation.

Again, IANAL or FCC regulatory expert, but I strongly suggest contacting
your legal counsel before importing these devices without an FCC-ID
attached. The person directly organizing the group buy is highly at
risk, as is each individual promoting the buy, and each individual
participating in the buy and using the product afterward. Ignorance
doesn't protect you from these regulations and fines.

Have Fun!
John