[NCLUG] Call for Participation: Next NCLUG meeting: Your desktop habits.

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 13:53:28 MDT 2008

Well, not all of us REALLY wanna talk about our desktop 'habits' :)

Just kidding, but coming from a perspective of deploying XenDesktop very
soon to a client, I'm actually curious as to what exactly you mean by
'desktop'- the terminology is changing, and I'm finding what one person
means by 'desktop' may be different from what another person means.  For
example, in the Citrix world (where I live for most of my work week
these days), I'm often called upon to publish 'desktops' to thin clients
or web sessions for people that have specific needs and published
applications only slow them down.  In a Windows world, this is still
pretty limited, but in the Open Source world, there's a ton of different
options just in your interface (Gnome, KDE, MC, etc).

Now, as someone who's still not even running a Linux desktop (just
servers via SSH or Webmin) I'm suddenly very curious about this myself-
am I behind the times?  I was very intrigued months ago by the
demonstration of running World of Warcraft on Linux, but I have to
confess I never actually tried it as I planned to with Guild Wars (I
don't play WoW) because I find I don't want to tinker with stuff at home
as much these days.  So, I keep running XP on my actual desktops.  But I
often do wonder if I'm out of excuses.  Given that at then end of this
month you'll no longer be able to buy a PC with XP licensed on it (Vista
only, unless you have an Open License Agreement), and given that Vista,
well, SUCKS... I may find myself needing to re-evaluate my position if I
want to keep things legal...  Has the Linux Desktop really evolved to
meet my standards/needs?

So, I'd be curious as well to hear what people think of when they hear
'Desktop':

Do you mean desktop computer (ie, PC/Mac) for personal daily use?
Do you mean server desktop interface (using X instead of SSH, for example)?
Do you mean terminal sessions?
Do you mean Virtual Desktops from Xen or VMWare?
Or, now that Wine is finally actually released (1.0), do you mean you
use a Linux Desktop and run Windows apps that way?

However, odds are good that I may not be able to be there- can someone
video and then YouTube (or whatever method you like, share the video) of
the meeting just in case I can't be there?

thanks,

-DJ Eshelman