[NCLUG] Call for Participation: Next NCLUG meeting: Your desktop habits.

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Tue Jun 24 10:34:53 MDT 2008

I'm never at the meetings, but I'll throw in my $.02 for DJ :)

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 13:53 -0600, DJ Eshelman wrote:
> So, I'd be curious as well to hear what people think of when they hear
> 'Desktop':
>
> Do you mean desktop computer (ie, PC/Mac) for personal daily use?
> Do you mean server desktop interface (using X instead of SSH, for example)?
> Do you mean terminal sessions?

Umm, I'm not sure how to interpret those questions.  I run a linux
desktop, and yes, it is running X (and compiz, and lots of other stuff).
I also usually have several "terminal sessions" open as well, both
locally, and connected to other machines on the network.  I also usually
have a web browser, email client, music and/or video players/streamers
(/me *hearts* Miro ;), instant messaging, and other various apps
running.

> Do you mean Virtual Desktops from Xen or VMWare?
> Or, now that Wine is finally actually released (1.0), do you mean you
> use a Linux Desktop and run Windows apps that way?

As a historical artifact, I actually do have windows apps installed
under WINE, as well as a windows VM image, but it's very rare that I use
either of them anymore.  Occasionally, someone at work who doesn't know
any better will want me to connect to their "netmeeting", and I will try
to accommodate them by running it under WINE.  Or, they'll send me a
proprietary file (Visio or msproject usually), which I can't read
without the accompanying windows program.  But for the most part, I've
found it increasingly rare that I need to revert to primitive windows
apps for anything I need to do, at work or at home.

--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>
 Irritated at Outlook's plain-text quoting?