[NCLUG] Call for Participation: Next NCLUG meeting: Your desktop habits.

Scott Scriven nclug at toykeeper.net
Tue Jun 24 21:04:46 MDT 2008

* Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> The main issue for me would be whether I can get the laptop and
> the projector talking to each other.

FreeBSD uses Xorg and xrandr, right?  You should be able to just
extend your desktop onto the second screen.

Or, you could try to set up two independent heads, but that
requires some changes to xorg.conf and it's sometimes a bit
hairy.

I couldn't get my video card to do more than 1280x1280 pixels
total, so I ended up (so far) with one display at 800x1200 split
onto two monitors vertically.  This command worked:

  xrandr --output LVDS --mode 800x600 \
         --output VGA  --mode 800x600 --above LVDS

I may still figure out how to increase its maximum size, and then
run 1280x800 on my main display and 800x600 on VGA, but it'll
take some fiddling.

-- Scott