[NCLUG] Greetings and amazing offer

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Fri Mar 21 11:33:50 MDT 2008

Greetings,

I am new to this list but met some of you at the last meeting. My name is
Jim Hutchinson and I was the one who spoke briefly about the Technology in
Education conference in June. I'm writing for a different reason today -
though let me know if you are interested in TIE.

My daughter is working on her 6th grade science fair project. It is a
comparison of true and pseudo random number generators. She is using the
sums of two dice as her experimental model and has Ruby and Python scripts
to generate X number of "rolls". She is comparing the observed frequencies
of each sum to the expected frequencies using a chi-square test. She is also
collecting data on real world dice rolls to compare to the pRNGs. Her entire
project is done using FLOSS - Ubuntu OS, OO.o, and Ruby and Python.

I have told her that part of doing good research is connecting with a
community. For example, to start, she emailed the Ubuntu list and asked for
help with the scripts. Soon, it will be time to present her findings. I was
wondering if it would be possible for her to do a short presentation at the
next NCLUG meeting (4/8)? If not, a later one would also work, but the
actual fair is in mid-April and I think it would be cool if she could do
something before then. I don't think it would be more than 15 mins unless
there were a lot of questions - which would be fine too. Mainly, I just want
her to get some experience presenting.

Thanks,
-jim