[NCLUG] Good news from the hardware front

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Thu Mar 27 22:27:26 MDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:57 PM, danbob <danbob at hughes.net> wrote:

> The Memorex Traveldrives also list Linux as a supported operating system
> on the box. I bought my 8gb version for that reason at Best Buy, and
> told the manager that that's why I selected it. He laughed and said that
> one of his computer sales staff is a Linux guy, and that while they were
> somewhat locked in on what product lines they sell, they do keep an eye
> open for products with Linux support.

Not really a cheap option but the sandisk cruzer flash drives also have a
penguin on the back of the box. However, they include some annoying software
that is a basically a poor implementation of the portable apps menu with few
uses and for me at least is more of a hassle. I reformatted mine right away.
Office max had the 4GB ones on sale a while back for about $40. I bet the
next time they are on sale it will be less. I added portable apps to mine
and use it all the time at work for putty, firefox and keepass. It's a great
way to keep my bookmarks and passwords with me but with some measure of
security. I still have about 3GB of space left.

-jim