[NCLUG] Good news from the hardware front

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Thu Mar 27 22:53:26 MDT 2008

> Not really a cheap option but the sandisk cruzer flash drives also have a
> penguin on the back of the box. However, they include some annoying software
> that is a basically a poor implementation of the portable apps menu with few
> uses and for me at least is more of a hassle. I reformatted mine right away.
> Office max had the 4GB ones on sale a while back for about $40. I bet the
Funny story about this.  My dad paid $12 on eBay for a Windows program
that would remove that hidden partition with the drivers and apps on
those Cruzers (it doesn't show up in Windows disk manager).  He gave me
one of the drives out of the two pack, and all I did was `dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX` and then put a new partition on it.  I gave it
back to him, and told him that he could add that $12 to the needless
cost proprietary software.

Paul