[NCLUG] Good news from the hardware front

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Mar 28 11:24:12 MDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 05:53:52PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >>

> >I found Kingston USB flash drives on sale at Circuit City, near
> >College
> >and Harmony.  They're selling 1GB for about $8, and 2GB for about
> >$15 or
> >$16.  Now I just need to find a really fantastic deal on something
> >bigger
> >than 4GB, and I'll be set.  I might even be satisfied with just 4GB,
> >as
> >long as it's from a company I don't want to avoid (like Sony).  I'd
> >rather buy hardware from Microsoft than Sony, frankly.
>
> I agree with you about Sony (though I'd never buy anything MS either).
>
> Mainly because Sony is the outfit that claimed it didn't see anything
> wrong with installing root kits on customers machines without asking
> permission, not even in the usual "mouse print" way.
>
> Here's a pretty cheap storage solution:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST650211CF-R&cat=FLM
>
> Faster than a flash device. Add a CF-to-USB adapter and away you go.

I'm having trouble finding such a beast -- unless you mean a USB
connector on a compact flash reader device like one of these:

  http://www.lexar.com/readers/index.html

Even if I found one for a good enough price to bother, that's a bit
bulkier than I had in mind.  Even a single-slot reader, plus cable, is
bigger than what I'm looking for.

Price isn't the only consideration (other than avoiding Sony),
unfortunately.  In fact, the only reason price is such a factor is that
finding a high enough capacity USB flash drive isn't really a very
critical priority right now.  It's a matter of "If I have to pay standard
retail prices, it's not important enough to bother," rather than "I can't
afford standard retail prices."

Thanks for the suggestion, though -- and if there's some way to use a CF
card without increasing the physical footprint of the thing
significantly, please let me know.

Marvin Minsky: "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could
actually spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game."