[NCLUG] Good news from the hardware front

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Sun Mar 30 13:31:15 MDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:56:19AM -0600, Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the tip. I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of data
> > protection, but I think keepass (and keepassx in Linux) is a pretty
> secure
> > way to store passwords. If you want to have passwords be portable at
> all,
> > then something like this a good defense. By the time someone could crack
> it,
> > I can probably change all the passwords - assuming I know it was taken.
> Of
> > course, the first defense is to not lose it :). I think using two flash
> > drives just increased that possibility. I do have a second one I can use
> for
> > sharing files and such that doesn't contain anything sensitive. I never
> loan
> > out or share my main one.
>
> Part of the problem is that everything on your USB flash drive can be
> copied off it without you ever knowing it happened.  The first time you
> plug it into a computer you are not 100% certain you can trust
> completely,

And that is the whole point - I only use said flash drive on my computers at
home and my one at work (which I admit could have a keylogger or something
if IT wanted to install one and since it's windows could be compromised
anyway).

> Good to know you keep your flash drive uses separate like that, though.
> That's more security awareness than I'd expect from most people.

I try to be better than the average idiot :) though not always successful.

-jim