[NCLUG] Good news from the hardware front

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Mar 30 15:45:47 MDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 01:31:15PM -0600, Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> >
> > Part of the problem is that everything on your USB flash drive can be
> > copied off it without you ever knowing it happened.  The first time you
> > plug it into a computer you are not 100% certain you can trust
> > completely,
>
> And that is the whole point - I only use said flash drive on my computers at
> home and my one at work (which I admit could have a keylogger or something
> if IT wanted to install one and since it's windows could be compromised
> anyway).

That drastically changes things.  Under those circumstances, you're not
at much risk, one hopes.  Of course, you probably don't know what the
sysadmins at work are doing, and you might have relatives at home who
could be inclined to do something underhanded, but in general those are
probably relatively safe environments.

> > Good to know you keep your flash drive uses separate like that, though.
> > That's more security awareness than I'd expect from most people.
>
> I try to be better than the average idiot :) though not always successful.

High aspirations are generally a good thing.  When you shoot at the moon,
even if you miss, you'll end up among the stars.

John W. Russell: "People point. Sometimes that's just easier. They also use
words. Sometimes that's just easier. For the same reasons that pointing has
not made words obsolete, there will always be command lines."