[NCLUG] laptop wireless, anyone got a USB 802.11b adapter?

hugh at mahon.cwx.net hugh at mahon.cwx.net
Mon May 12 20:00:00 MDT 2008

Hi Folks,

I got a new laptop.  Unfortunately it has a Broadcom 43xx chip for the
wireless and although I've followed the instructions I find on the Web
I can't get it to work.  The info I get is:

    input: b43-phy0 as /class/input/input9
    b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 351.126 (2006-07-29 05:54:02)
    b43-phy0 warning: You are using an old firmware image. Support for old
    firmware will be removed in July 2008.
    b43-phy0 warning: You must go to
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and
    download the latest firmware (version 4).
    b43-phy0 ERROR: The machine/kernel does not support the required DMA
    mask (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
    input: b43-phy0 as /class/input/input10

This is after I followed the instructions at the site referenced in the
messages but still get the errors.

Oh well.  On to plan B, or 802.11b to be specific.

I know that things changed when vendors went to 802.11g and they
required downloading firmware, but that with 802.11b things were
usually simpler.  I have a few 802.11b PCMCIA cards but the new laptop
doesn't have a PCMCIA slot.

Does anyone have a USB 802.11b adaptor they'd be willing to sell or trade
for a PCMCIA card?  Or one that I can try out to see if it can be made
to work?

I'll be at the meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

Thanks,

Hugh Mahon