[NCLUG] Re: Remote power for Eee PC

bwood at beww.org bwood at beww.org
Sat Nov 29 11:10:55 MST 2008

On Friday 28 November 2008 11:19:21 Dan Fink wrote:
> Hi beww --- I have an ice chest with a 12v marine deep cycle battery
> mounted in it, a direct 12VDC fused take-off, and a 1000w inverter
> mounted on the top. It charges with a 40watt glassless solar panel on a
> portable rack, with a 30ft cord to the battery. There's also a solid
> state AC battery charger mounted for when I have shore power available
> (does 15 amps DC). The solar panel is intended for remote river gaging
> stations, it's small, light, powerful and very sturdy.

Good solution, but a lot more power (and weight) than I need. I have
discovered a military surplus "Solargizer" solution pretty cheap ($59.95) at:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com
(P/N LX8M-145518 if anyone's interested) This is a sale price, goes to $79.95
after 12/31/08.

It's designed to maintain a charge on 24-volt battery systems, but it looks
like it can be adapted for my needs easily.

I'm not affiliated with those guys, but I've had good luck with purchases from
them.

> The only hassles this system has given me were crossing to and from
> Canada earlier this year, on my 2-week BC fishing trip. It apparently
> looked rather 'suspicious' to the border guards on both sides!

Not surprising. Anything they don't understand is "suspicious". I once had TSA
totally ignore my 100 insulin syringes because 3 of them were "investigating"
my niece's nail polish for 10 minutes. You have to wonder.

Funny how the attractive women seem to get "investigated" more than us ugly
guys.

--
beww
beww at beww.org