[NCLUG] ssh question

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Mon Oct 6 15:32:40 MDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Brian Wood <bwood at beww.org> wrote:

> Here's an idea:
>
> If you are talking about just a single web browser, and your networks
> are fast, you could just run the browser on the ssh server machine, and
> use X forwarding to display it on your remote machine, as in:
>
> ssh -X (ssh server IP)
> firefox
>
> No muss, no fuss, but slow unless your network connections are quick.
>
> All that would be visible on your remote network would be ssh traffic to
> your server.
>
> Just a thought.

That would be an option but in actuality my ssh server is not a full fledged
OS so there is no way to actually run apps there (it's just a router with
the dd-wrt firmware upgrade). I have done the x forwarding option in the
past but it's REALLY slow when using from within my work network and it may
also have to do with slow upload speeds on my home connection.

As it is, my solution described above works. I'm just not sure if it does
what I think it does.

Thanks.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)