[NCLUG] V4L Snapshot help

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Thu Oct 9 19:46:42 MDT 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> Grant Johnson wrote:
>> I have a working V4L device.   It displays nicely on xawtv and kdetv.
>
> I haven't tried this with a still camera, but couldn't you just cat the
> device file into a file?
>
> cat /dev/video0 > snapshotfile
>
> It works with video sources.

Ooops, I see you have a video source, not a still camera. "snapshot"
fooled me.

You might need to do some processing to get the video into usable
format, both the codec and the container, or you will have a large file
of uncompressed frame data.

xawtv can save the video as an .avi, I believe. I'd assume kdtv an do so
as well. It can also grab a freeze frame I believe.

Unless you have some app that can deal with the raw data, saving a
snapshot directly might be problematic.

beww