[NCLUG] Presentation idea for the future.

Thomas Loran tom at loran3.net
Fri Oct 10 12:05:35 MDT 2008

Hello group,

I would like to volunteer to make a presentation about a project myself
one other colleague just completed.

We just got done deploying 10,000 Linux thin clients on 300 servers to
46,000 students in 88 schools with centralized management and
centralized authentication using 100% open source software.  We did this
in nine months, although it continues to be a work in progress as new
features are added and existing features are tweaked.   After meeting
with education users and LTSP developers at a recent conference, we
think  this is one of, if not the, largest managed LTSP deployment in
production.

While the centralized authentication feature is currently turned  off
for political reasons, the system does manage the heterogeneous printing
environment in each school.  We have centralized configuration and patch
management.  We have also  deployed a new network management system for
fault and performance management even though the school district had a
commercial system.  The commercial system was too expensive and too
bureaucratic for us to use, so we just did our own and now the whole
district is  looking at moving to our new free solution.

Previously, they had a handful of windows machines in each school's
library.  The machines were administered by one person per three schools
and were frequently broken. Now, the whole  thing is administered by one
person with proactive network management.  The labor savings alone made
this a no brainer.

The school district found out that standardized test scores rose
dramatically when there were computers in the classroom. There was no
way they could afford to put windows machines in each classroom.  Now
there are 6 -12 computers in each classroom and the kids could  care
less that they are  Linux.  They just naturally found the browser, the
word processors, and some other programs ans started teaching each other
how to use the systems.

I got this idea after talking to Bob Proulx at a NCLUG meeting almost
two years ago.  I was able to take some of Bob's ideas  and hopefully,
make them bigger and better.  I would like the opportunity to return the
  knowledge back to the community.

Tom