[NCLUG] Presentation idea for the future.

Thomas Loran tom at loran3.net
Tue Oct 14 12:41:38 MDT 2008

There were some good points and some bad points I thought I would
share.  Most of the bad points were around the politics, end user
expectations,  and lack of customer-side project management.  I am
massaging the real numbers but basically we put  most of the money
upfront (higher fixed cost) into high end infrastructure and used
commercial open source support contracts.  The costs get better with
scale and we are currently at roughly 50% of the end goal of one
computer for every two students.

The initial  numbers seem to  be that we deployed at 62% of the cost
of a windows XP solution and are operating at 43% the cost,  again
using commercial open source.  In the grand scheme of a project this
large, the commercial open source support/licensing costs are almost
negligible.  The labor, however is where you make it  up.    Also, you
cannot really compare the support costs, because XP  was in an ad hoc
firefighting mode and failing while we deployed a "successful"
structured managed solution.  Also, we deployed thin clients not fat
clients but we had no "office"  software costs so it is  not a true
like-to-like comparison.  Finally, with a Windows TC solution, I do
not think  they would have scaled anywhere near as well as our
solution did where we got an easy 150:1 ratio TC to  server  ration.
We piloted two other non LTSP linux-based  solutions and got 18:1 and
60:1 ratio respectively.   As you can see there can be lots of
subjectivity here, but overall there  is no doubt it  is less
expensive to deploy and run a linux based solution over a Windows
based solution.

Tom