[NCLUG] Denver OpenStreetMap mapping party Oct 18-19

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Oct 15 12:12:16 MDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:09:41PM -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 08:29:33PM -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
> >>
> >> OpenStreetMap is both an Open Source project and a source of Free
> >> GeoData.
> >>  A sort of Wikipedia for maps.  Join us at the mapping party next
> >> weekend
> >> and we'll show you some of the amazing things OSM can do.  Like run on
> >> your Linux-lovin' devices.  Handhelds, PDAs and UMPCs even.  And we'll
> >> show you how you can contribute to the map of everything.
> >
> > Does it run on FreeBSD?
>
> Yes and no.  OpenStreetMap in the svn repo is a collection of many tools.
> from bash scripts to perl / python / pwhatever.  Several user-facing tools
> are  built for the browser.
>
> So I have no direct experience running these tools on *BSD but from what
> little I know of the *BSDs.  Well, they have browsers, right?  ;-)

Yes -- the same browsers that everyone else has, basically.  Obviously
not the browsers that only one other OS will run, though.

. . . which unfortunately still includes Chromium.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
markinct @techrepublic.com: "Don't take anything you do on-line lightly.