[NCLUG] Python Rox

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Wed Oct 15 14:59:49 MDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Brian Wood <bwood at beww.org> wrote:

> Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> > As some of you may know I work at Windsor high school. I was talking with
> > our programming teacher and she was saying she would love to teach Python
> > but didn't have time to learn it. From what little I've played with it I
> > told her it was pretty easy and she seemed interested. I was wondering if
> > any of the Pythoners on the list would ever consider any kind of mini
> cram
> > course to help people get started. I bet we could run in one our labs
> here
> > (all windows based now but that shouldn't matter, should it?).
> >
> > Right now she does VB and C++. Can Python be programed in any way similar
> > the "build a gui" model of VB? I don't if that is important or not but
> just
> > curious.
>
> As Sean put it at a Linux Expo many years ago, if you know Perl that's a
> good starting point.

I don't and neither does the teacher as far as I know. Is Python not a
language to start with? Our tech teacher liked it because it was "cross
platform" meaning both a programming tool and web design tool.

Oh, one more thing. I think Eclipse is the tool I've heard that people use
for working with Python (I know it's not required but heard it's nice) but
when I go to their site I only see Eclipse for Java and C++. I also found
Pydev. Is that what we want and do we also download one of the Eclipse
editors?

Thanks.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)