[NCLUG] Python Rox

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Thu Oct 16 17:37:41 MDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Goodman,Darrin <
Darrin.Goodman at colostate.edu> wrote:

> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > I would be happy to do such a thing again.  If anyone else is interested,
> it sounds like we may be able to use a lab?  If not, I could do it
> one-on-one or in a smaller group.
>
> Stephen Warren wrote:
> > Anyway, I'd be willing to put some time into helping out get Python
> taught if you need.
>
> If you guys were interested in putting on a Python-for-beginners workshop,
> I'd certainly be interested in absorbing anything that you were willing to
> teach (please just not during the month of March).  If it turns out to be a
> small group of folks who are interested in this, and if it turns out that
> (as Jim mentioned) that it does not work out to mix staff/students/NCLUGers,
> then perhaps we could just do it at someone's home.  Chances are that most
> folks probably have laptops so it should be easy for folks to bring their
> own equipment and set up a temporary lab.  I've got a small screen (or we
> could use a sheet) if someone has a projector.

I have a feeling there will be issues with doing something with non-staff at
school. Our IT department will probably not be too keen to give accounts to
people. I will explore that but if we want to do a python class for NCLUGers
Darrin's suggestion might be better and we could do it around our own
schedules. I can get a projector or two.
While this is moving away from my original questions, here is a thought:
let's find a place or two to host as well as get some numbers of people
interested and plan out a small class of 4 or 5 short lessons. There are
several experts here willing to help it seems. In order to value their time
and experience we can come up with some sort of compenstation. I know a lot
of people are willling to help for free becasue the Linux community is just
cool that way but I also think it's sometimes too easy to take advantage of
people's goodwill. Perhaps the "students" can pitch in $5 each lesson and
either just give cash or maybe a gift card to someplace useful like a
bookstore or Amazon. Gift cards are a nice thank you. Anyway, just a
thought. I've been wanting to learn a bit of Python myself and teaching
myself has not been overly successful.
So,
1) how many people would be interested?
2) who can offer space or ideas for a space?
3) who can offer equipment? (I'll bring projectors and could spot someone a
laptop if we need extras)
4) suggestions for a schedule?
5) teachers?
Thoughts?