[NCLUG] Python Rox

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Fri Oct 17 09:36:43 MDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Goodman,Darrin <
Darrin.Goodman at colostate.edu> wrote:

> Jim Hutchinson wrote:
>
> > 1) how many people would be interested?
> > 2) who can offer space or ideas for a space?
> > 3) who can offer equipment? (I'll bring projectors and could spot someone
> > laptop if we need extras)
> > 4) suggestions for a schedule?
> > 5) teachers?
> > Thoughts?
>
> I work at CSU and have just been given permission for us to use the small
> classroom that we've been recently working on putting together; it will
> comfortably seat 14 people, and it has a projector and screen setup.  I'll
> be mounting a dry erase board in there sometime soon.  There are network
> cables running to each station so there is Internet access.  Everyone would
> need to bring his/her own laptop, instructor included.  We have not yet
> installed the podium for the instructor, but in the mean time, there is a
> table up front where the instructor can have his/her laptop, and the
> projector and audio inputs are located next to the table.
>
> Starting in January, the classroom will be used a few nights per week, so
> we use this room, we would just need to do it before January, or coordinate
> a date that does not conflict with a regularly scheduled class.  I don't
> really see this as a problem.
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions about the room and if you
> would like to use this as our meeting place for the Python class.  I work at
> University Extension, which is located in the old Forest Service building
> (right off of College, two buildings south of the athletic track), so it's
> pretty easy to access and parking won't be an issue if we do this on a
> weeknight.

Well, we have location, equipment, an instructor and some interested people.
I guess we just need a date and time. Weds would not be ideal for me but
could manage. Most other evenings are fine. Is there a day of the week that
interfers the least with other events? It sound like sooner is better than
later. I don't know if people are interested in just one meeting or a short
series so some feedback in that respect would be good.
Once we have a plan I will also invite the teacher from Windsor. Maybe ther
are other teachers around that would be interested. It would cool to see
more schools use for FOSS tools (Python is FOSS, right?). I know a teacher
down in Longmont that I think does some stuff with Python so I'll mention it
to him. Maybe he can be a teacher or a student depending on what he knows.
Would it be okay to invite othes like this?
Thanks for all the interest in this and the willingness of everyone to help.
--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----