[NCLUG] linux on recent HP laptops

S. Luke Jones slukejones at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 22:29:46 MDT 2008

I'm considering getting a new HP laptop (Pavilion dv4-1123us) but I go
far enough back with Linux that I'm nervous about nothing working. I
figure on a laptop that might include: (1) networking, (2) sound, (3)
optical drive (esp. burning), (4) everything else. (I take it for
granted that power management doesn't work on any laptop anywhere
except macs.;-)

I've consulted "linux-laptop.net" and the ubuntu forums, but this
particular model isn't mentioned anywhere. (I think this is a function
of all computer models these days having a shelf-life of about 3
months. They have dv4's and dv5's and dv7's, but the particular model
number is all that's relevant. And probably not even that: it's not
like they guarantee an -1123us will have the same parts this week that
it did last week.)

So, my question is this: what's the best way to know if a laptop
you're thinking about buying will run Linux (a) before you buy it (b)
without wasting your time explaining to the tech support person what
linux is and (c) all this before the laptop is supplanted by next
month's model?

S. Luke Jones - slukejones at gmail.com