[NCLUG] root/superuser pwd question

Ben West mrgenixus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:40:57 MDT 2008

I've gotten used to this, actually with most purpose-made devices... I
notices the n800 also doesn't have or support iwconfig access to the wifi
device, which means that connecting to my non-broadcast network at home is
impossible on the nokia tablet

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Scott Scriven <nclug at toykeeper.net> wrote:

> * Brian Wood <bwood at beww.org> wrote:
> > Someone who learned Unix from Ubuntu is in serious trouble if
> > faced with a failed GUI, ...
>
> That seems to be the way of things these days.  The same could be
> said of most major distros.  I can't stand the GUI config tools
> on Red Hat or SuSE either, but most of the users I've seen can't
> do without.  That's fine though, it's part of being "ready for
> the desktop".  People dig this stuff, and complain like crazy if
> they ever see a config file or a command line.  They call it the
> "red pill".
>
> The only part which really bugs me is when the "easy" config
> tools work in such a way that they break traditional approaches.
> I've seen this, for example, on my new n810 tablet, which keeps
> clobbering several important config files.  The GUI config tools
> use XML or SQLite natively and regenerate the active config files
> frequently with no regard for manual changes.
>

> -- Scott

/ˈmɪstər/ /ˈdʒɛnəsɪs/@/dʒi/ /meɪl/ /dɒt/ /kɒm/
Benjamin West