[NCLUG] root/superuser pwd question

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Wed Sep 10 18:14:35 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Brian Wood <bwood at beww.org> wrote:

> Someone who learned Unix from Ubuntu is in serious trouble if faced with
> a failed GUI, or a remote server that can only be accessed by ssh and a
> CLI, but I guess a non-mechanic is in trouble if their car breaks down
> in the desert, and I am certainly not an auto mechanic, but I still
> drive a car :-)

Being a self prescribed Ubuntu geek, I feel a need to respond here. First
some background. I an NOT a computer expert and I'm not even in the computer
business - I'm a teacher with an English degree. However, I am a fairly
competent user. I can install windows and Linux from scratch, know a bit
about networking and can troubleshoot a wide range of issues (I'm actually
fairly active in Launchpad Answers).

I came to Linux about 3 years ago. I had known about it for about 5-6 years
before that but my one attempt at installing Debian resulted in a CLI
interface and that was just a bit too foreign to me. About 3 years ago
someone suggested I give Suse and Ubuntu a try since "Linux had come a long
way." I tried both and really liked Ubuntu and stuck with it. I knew NOTHING
about using or adminning a Linux computer and everything I've learned is
from using Ubuntu.

Am I in serious trouble? Probably - if I have to run a Linux network.
Otherwise, I would have to say I'm as competent a Linux user as I was a
windows user - probably more competent since I've spent a lot more time with
the nuts and bolts of Ubuntu than I ever did with windows. And I CAN fix a
failed GUI when it happens - I'm actually pretty good at breaking X. In
addition, I find that this is also transferable knowledge. I am now a Mac
user at work. I recently picked up a book on using the terminal on a Mac and
much of it is very familiar so clearly what I learned using Ubuntu is at
least enough Unix-like to be somewhat transferable to other Unix-like
operating systems. However, don't give me an RPM based distro as I don't get
those at all and don't really want to and I'm sure I would be lost using
Unix.

So, my take on all this is that I have been a very successful target for
Ubuntu. I was a fed up windows user and switched. Ubuntu was easy enough
that I didn't flip out like with non-GUI Debian some years back and I was
able to stick with it. I think that is what Canoncial wants - people to try
and then buy (so to speak). I don't think Canoncial is out to make windows
users into Linux admins. They just want to make Linux users and for that I
think they deserve a lot of praise and support. I know the tradionalists
aren't always happy with what they do and how they do it but then they are
not the target audience.

Someone recently described OSX to me as "Linux - only better". I actually
take issue with that, but I think it illustrates a point. People just want
an easy to use, stable and friendly operating system. If it's free (both
senses) then all the better. However, average people will not flock to Linux
if Gentoo and Slackware are their choices. They want "Linux for Dummies"
which will make all the hard core users cringe, but all these new users are
helping to drive development and Linux will only get better for us all
(consider wireless support for example or the recent opening of graphics
drivers). I would think that all who love Linux would love to see more users
and after all a Linux with training wheels is still Linux.

Thanks and have a good evening :)

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----