[NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu)

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 21:51:33 MDT 2008

William Greger wrote:
> To all:
>
>   I just purchased a PC (from Computer Renaissance) that I want to dedicate to Linux (Ubuntu).
> The PC has
> - MOBO: ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS
> - CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4800+
Yeah, that should run ubuntu *very* well, got an almost identical
machine with a much smaller HD churning out foldingathome workunits and
as a backup desktop.

I also recommend 64 bit, flash has worked fine on almost all sites for
me (with a little tweaking.) Java in web browsers has been a pain on
64bit, but I only use that once a year for taxes.
---

Ignore the ff. if your computer boots from the CD, and the problem is
elsewhere:

But if it won't even boot from the cd... Can't remember so long since
last boot, but I think <esc> key let's you choose boot device. BIOS
might be set in strange order or for net boot or something.

If esc gives no choice (and might be worth making sure BIOS is reset to
defaults anyway if just bought used) hold down <del> key while boot and
choose boot from CD then HD then whatever save exit.

If CDROM tries to read but doesn't.. Did you verify that your disk
downloaded and burned correctly?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation has links to about
Burning and also verifiying integrity.

regards