[NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu)

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Fri Sep 12 14:32:24 MDT 2008

A couple years ago, I took a Green Advocacy position over distributed
net computing projects, that I still think applies today, and even more.

It takes several megawatt's of power to provide the computing used by
folding.stanford.edu (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home).
Buying a larger, more power hungry machine ... or keeping an older power
slurping slug powered up for distributed projects ... just makes our
global energy problems worse.

This includes leaving desktop machines powered up 24x7, rather than
powering them down or letting them drop into low power standby mode.

Larger power hungry cpu's like Itaniums, Xeon's, and other 64 bit
processors have a clear place in our world when the user needs to have a
high end CAD, scientific computing, or other industrial strength
application for real work. To run a browser, or typical office
application, or other light weight application with these machines is
just wasting power ... kind of like driving a Peterbuilt tractor as a
commuter car just because your ego needs the strokes of having an
oversized polluting monster.

Conservation starts with everybody in a way that makes sense.

John