[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Sep 14 23:26:19 MDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 08:46:05AM -0600, John L. Bass wrote:

> If you would have read the reference I provided, you would have noticed
> that a typical high end desktop/server produces a very pitiful
> contribution to the folding.stanford.edu project, where PS3 and certain
> high end graphics cards with powerful GPU's complete much higher work
> units on much lower power. An order of magnitude better work to power
> ratio, thus making the practice of leaving a desktop powered up just to
> run a distributed computing client very wasteful. This just doesn't make
> sense from a conservation standpoint.

Can I assume, then, that you've bought a bunch of PS3s and will be
sending them to people who are currently running F at H on x86(-64)
computers?  You might want to put me on that list, since I'm running F at H
on x86 systems and don't own a PS3.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Larry Wall: "Perl is, in intent, a cleaned up and summarized version of