[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power.

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Sep 14 23:31:58 MDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 05:01:38PM -0600, John L. Bass wrote:
> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> >>high end graphics cards with powerful GPU's complete much higher work
> >>units on much lower power. An order of magnitude better work to power
> >>

> >Since you say you don't run F at H, I'll assume that the above is just
> >speculation.
> I DID NOT say that I haven't run F at H, and was JUST YOUR POOR SPECULATION.
> I did say, that I do not run ANY distributed network application today.

I think you're the one assuming things here.  If you read the comment
from Sean again, I think you'll notice he said "you say you don't run
F at H," and not "you say you never ran F at H".

> The actual performance and power of other desktop and server systems
> varies widely, where older systems than yours do not have near the
> performance/power ratio ... so blind advocacy of F at H really needs to be
> tempered with a realistic look at individual systems.

Blind?  Are you sure anyone's advocating anything blindly?  Do you have
any actual evidence to suggest that anyone's advocacy is not carefully
considered?

> Suggesting that electricity is clean and plentiful, is well, less than
> informed. The number of eco freaks with that objective to blame oil for
> everything that is wrong is increasing ... so some focus on using
> electricity responsibly is well in order these days. Especially when
> generated with coal.

When did anyone suggest that?  Please quote the statement to that effect.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Martin Luther: "Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying