[NCLUG] flame war

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Mon Sep 15 09:32:50 MDT 2008

I hope that my posts were informative, and that other readers will
consider the Green and personal costs of using a PC.

A 140W high end desktop, busy with F at H 24X7, will cost about
(140W*24Hr*365Days/1000*$0.085) = $104.21/yr to operate. A 40W Green
Desktop operated 5hrs per day will cost about (40*5*365/1000*0.085) =
$6.21/yr to operate, and save the environment 94% of the carbon
emissions and coal by product toxic wastes that endanger real people and
our planet. Most people actively use their PC's less than 35 hrs per
week, so the savings can be higher.

I do support the research that F at H is doing is important to humanity, I
just believe their are MUCH better ways to do that same research that
protect both humanity and our planet better - like taking the same
$100/yr and using it to build and operate public super computers for
this and other important tasks.

Thanks,
John