[NCLUG] Re:

Michael Riversong mriversong at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 09:17:58 MDT 2008

It's strange how heated arguments can arise concerning conservation and renewable energy.  Some of the points raised here are indeed difficult to quantify, which is part of the problem.

I've spent a lot of time providing energy consrvation consulting and at times have worked in the renewable energy industry.  One conclusion drawn from all this experience is that we must attack on all fronts.  Conservation has to be done any way we can, solar & wind capacity have to be expanded, and advanced research has to be done.  Also, the Linux style Open Source model has to be applied to inventing, which is something i've helped with a bit in the past few months.  No single program, alternative, or invention is going to solve all our problems.

Fortunately Ft. Collins has an abundance of intellectual resources and great community coherence.  This coming weekend we have the Sustainable Living Fair, which is in itself a good step.  If anyone from this group would like to meet with me this coming weekend, i will be there.  I'm going to be gathering photographs and podcasts for my own site, www.teslaacademy.info and generally building the network.  Pick a time & a booth, and we can rendezvous.

Meanwhile, existing podcasts and a new edition of the Tesla Dictionary of Advanced Research Terminology are available at the above referenced site.  All this might help.  The key word here is "ephemeralization", a term coined by Buckminster Fuller that means "doing more with less".  We Linux people are often in the forefront of that movement.