[NCLUG] Next meeting topic: Short Topics: Linux Gadgets.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 15 14:19:40 MDT 2008

Stephen Warren wrote:
> On Mon, September 15, 2008 12:37 pm, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> I guess I missed the last short topics meeting, but do we really have 6-9
> people presenting at them? That would seem like information overload. 7
> minutes seems pretty short.

Last time I think we had 6 people willing to present, but only got to 3.
But as I said, if we have fewer people then we can extend it some.

As far as information overload, that's kind of what I'm going for.  :-)
The "short topics" meetings I have modeled after the PyCon "lightning
talks", loosely.  These are strictly limited to 5 minutes, with one person
talking and the next person "on deck" getting their box hooked up to the
projector.  So literally every 5 minutes there was a different talk.  This
is one of the most popular tracks at PyCon.

Obviously, we can do whatever we want, but I think targeting a new talk
every 10 minutes (7 minutes talk, 3 minutes next person getting set up) is
probably a good place to start.

I'd kind of rather have more people giving fairly distilled information
(remember, people who want to talk more about a subject can group together
and talk after the meeting) and get more different views in.  However, I'm
very much welcome to suggestions on how to improve it.  Suggestions from
the last one were that the talks should have been shorter.

Plus, it's always easier, IMHO, to lengthen a talk on the fly than to
distill it.  If you target 7 minutes and we actually have 15 because we
only have 4 people talking, then off we go.  But if we have 8 people who
have something to talk about, I'd really like to get them all in.

Thoughts?