[NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu)

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Mon Sep 15 17:13:44 MDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:07 PM, DJ Eshelman <djsbignews at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since the conversation went Green I haven't read much on (but I intend to).
>
> But I have a few suggestions:
>
> 1)  Avoid 64 bit if you are only using 2 GB of RAM.  I can dig up some
> articles if you're interested, but the system overhead of running 64 bit
> actually negates most benefits.  As a general rule- only worry about 64 bit
> if you need to use more than 4GB of RAM.  I may be a little out of date, but
> the last time I tried running Kbuntu 64 bit on a machine with 1.5 GB RAM, it
> didn't run nearly as well as the 32 bit version.  That was about a year and
> a half ago, so things may have changed somehow but I seriously doubt there's
> much benefit that's worth any of the trouble.

Fwiw, I run 64bit Ubuntu with 2gb ram and used to run 32bit. I don't see
much difference either way but video transcoding is faster. I got huge time
savings with thoggen which is slow anyway but I like it.

> 2)  You may run into trouble with Ubuntu with an ASUS board- I did as well;
> it has to do with some oddness in the Northbridge from what I can tell.
> Almost like it's expecting something it can't find and just hangs when it
> goes to install the packages.  HOWEVER- Fedora ran like a champ.  I don't
> know why; I stopped trying to figure it out and just let it go.  That
> machine is running an Athlon 64 3400+ with 2.5 GB RAM on an ASUS K8n
> motherboard.  I still recommend ASUS in general; they make decent stuff; but
> there's full disclosure :)

My set up is an Asus a8n32 mobo, athlon x2 4800 and runs Ubuntu without
issue. The chipset is nvidia though and I 'm sure that helps. I also used an
MSI board before with nvidia chips and the same CPU and it too worked fine.
I've never heard of many issues with Asus and Linux - in fact, it usually
the opposite.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----