[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Sep 15 20:55:15 MDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 01:29:20PM -0600, danbob wrote:
> Just as a point of order, Sean, the average utility grid losses as heat
> in the USA are 9.5 percent, between the power plant and your electric
> meter. So "almost 100% efficient" is not correct, and that 9.5% is
> heating the great outdoors.
> DAN FINK
> Renewable Energy Consultant

If you have electric heating in your home anyway, one can safely ignore
at least most of the heat loss in transit when comparing the efficiency
of your electric furnace to that of your computer's tendency to turn
electric power into heat, I would think.

. . . and that's what Sean was talking about.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Niccolo Machiavelli: "It is a common failing of man not to take account