[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power.

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Sep 16 12:27:37 MDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 08:52:07AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Kyle Haefner wrote:
> > Wow!  You guys should just buy some compact florescents
>
> I always used those as much as I can, but lately I'm wondering about the
> energy to produce and transport them (in China, with whatever
> environmental rules they do or don't have), the possibility of toxic
> materials in them (mercury?) and other such considerations.
>
> Am I really helping by using them?

Not much.

You're better off with LEDs.  There's also some minor hazardous materials
concern with LEDs, but it's less significant, and the lights last *much*
longer than compact fluorescent bulbs.  They also tend to produce a less
dismal shade of light.

I have a couple of CF lights here in my living room, and I now wish I'd
gotten something else instead.  They frankly suck.  I won't toss and
replace them any time soon, though, because (on the conservation side of
things) it's kinda pointless to throw 'em away once they've already been
bought and pressed into service.

I'll get incandescents or LEDs in the future, though, unless something
better comes along.  CFs just aren't on my shopping list.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Philip Machanick: "caution: if you write code like this, immediately