[NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Sep 16 20:21:21 MDT 2008

Bob Proulx wrote:
> I don't want to be too negative but statements such as "didn't run
> nearly as well as the 32 bit version" are very vague and subjective.

Agreed.  However, I have definitely run into problems with running 64-bit
in the distant past.  The system in question is an Opteron based 1U server,
with the onboard "nv" SATA chipset.  Under the earlier CentOS 4s, this
would regularly lock up when put under load when loaded with 64-bit, but
operated fine with 32-bit.  With later CentOS 4s, it has run quite nicely.

I believe the problem was with the "nv" driver, and the "tg3" driver
wouldn't work at all in the installer, it would see the device but not
communicate with the network.

That said, over the last year I've installed more 64-bit machines, partly
to test as Bob said, partly because it's required for running the SMP F at H
client, and things have worked quite smoothly for me under both Fedora 9
and Hardy.