[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power.

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Tue Sep 16 22:39:58 MDT 2008

> Chad Perrin wrote:
> > Brian Wood wrote:
> > > I always used those as much as I can, but lately I'm wondering about the
> > > energy to produce and transport them (in China, with whatever
> > > environmental rules they do or don't have), the possibility of toxic
> > > materials in them (mercury?) and other such considerations.
> > >
> > > Am I really helping by using them?
> >
> > Not much.
>
> I think the they hurt more than they help.  Every one is labeled
> "dispose of properly".

I read somewhere that with the average mix of power in the US, the extra
power consumed by an incandescent over what a CF would use results in the
release to the environment of more mercury due to coal emissions than is
contained in the bulb itself. So even if it does get landfilled it's a net
gain, although you get the polution in one spot rather than spread across
the planet (I'm not sure which is better...).

I think in Colorado you still have a higher percentage of coal power than
the national average. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have less so it
might be a wash or maybe even worse. But if you are truely able to recycle
the bulbs (or at least sequester) then it's a win everywhere.

Waiting for cheap high efficency LED bulbs,

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org