[NCLUG] Re: "Green" power.

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Sep 17 11:09:32 MDT 2008

The amount of almost purposeful disinformation is almost alarming.

Fluorescent bulbs save 70-85% of electric use over incandescent bulbs,
which is huge, not the insignificant as claimed by others. When the
average percentage of all household use for lighting is roughly 8.8%,
that translates into a huge savings. Inside retail and service sector
businesses, lighting can be as much as 90% of the electric bill, which
is why 4' and 8' fluorescents dominate commercial and industrial
lighting. When you get up into the northern US, Canada, and Alaska, the
percentage goes up dramatically because shorter days and cold weather
force people inside much of the year. This is why Canada is forcing
incandescent bulbs off the market, because it's a lot more than 7%
savings for them ... as much as 35% in the winter months in some areas,
which is very noticable in peak generation costs.

The whole argument about china is very interesting, and equal
disinformation, as few tungsten bulbs are produced in the USA ... so the
manufacturing pollution, and transportation costs are both products
about equal for a typical consumer. In the grand scheme of things,
fluorescent lighting in business dwarfs lighting needs by residential
anyway, so using this argument to attack CFL production is far more
emotional than factual.

The mercury emmisions from coal generation for tungsten lighting are
higher on average than what is contained in a typical CFL (especially as
super low mercury CFL's are available which greatly tip the scale in
favor of CFL's for this argument). At least with CFL's we have a chance
to recycle that properly, rather than have it dumped on the folks around
coal fired plants. Google this if you need other sources to confirm. The
arguments that recycling are poor today, is NEVER and excuse to start
and do better, expecially when the alternative is dumping the mercury
emmissions on the poor souls around coal powered generation plants. Why
does someone worry about China polution, then advocate that we use
incandescents to increase the mercury polution for those around power
plants? Absolutely clueless idiot arguments.

Power generation policy in the US is a total disaster because competing
environmentalist have failed to do their homework and compromise on a
solution which impacts our society the least. Hydro, which is by far the
cleanest solution in many areas of the US, is completely off the table
because of concerns about it impacting down stream eco systems.  Large
solar and wind generation facilities are also attacked for similar
reasons. Nukes are also off the table, because of anti-war sediments
that spill over into power generation. This do-nothing stalemate,
results in excessive coal use, where some folks mistake "cleaner" as
clean after pollution scrubbing legislation.

In Calif, these mixed environmentalist forces came together with unions
to breakup the several large energy companies (PG&E, Southern Calif
Edision, etc) and produced a bigger disaster resulting in wide spread
power shortages. The environmentalists wanted to bring these big
companies down to size so they could stop additional/new hydro and nuke
generation with litigation expenses, and in the process made it
difficult to build coal/gas plants too. Likewise, the Unions were unable
to strike, when it ment shutting down most of Calif leaving millions of
Calif residents angry, but restructuring a breakup so that they could
strike individual components of the industry without a wide spread
shutdown in services greatly leveraged their clout. So these special
interested, funded the Dems to make this huge change. It didn't take
that many years, before natural growth outstripped existing production,
and higher prices with shortages developed.

Before that tight PUC regulation had forced long term capital
investments by PG&E and S. Cal Edision which completely insulated their
customers from price variations other than changes in Labor costs and
inflation. The PUC demanded that the energy companies invest a portion
of their income for long term growth so that shortages, outages, and
service distruptions from failures did not impact their customers. After
the breakup, all these controls were lost, and environmentalists and
unions created one of the worst public policy blunders in US history.

John